Venture up, out, and through!
Reloading this page will generate a new, random, playable 1st-level character, complete with powers and gear.
Wetan Snakehead level 1
Rankstillfleeter minima nonfactor, subclass petty-Zed
You are a muscled life coach from Calayat. You are a self-taught hell scientist—somehow capable of touching the Weird without the careful manipulations of the Archivists. Quite possibly, you were granted your powers by an ultrasapient patron of some kind—a cthulhicate entity from the deep void, an unearthed and insane Late Tephnian warmachine, or an utterly unfathomable extradimensional being from the Escheresque. Secretly, you met the Redactor. You... can't remember why this is so unbelievably important.
LanguagesSpin, Rasp, and Ku-Wetan
HEA 13 [maxCOM+maxMOV]
GRT 22 [maxWIL+maxCHA]
DR 0 [no armor]
- Arthropod (permanent) – You gain a permanent bonus of +1 MOV. [already included]
- Chemoelectric sense and sensibility (permanent) – You gain a bonus of +4 on rolls related to bug-stratum archaetech.
- Mandibles, spiracles, etc. (permanent) – You can metabolize a much greater range of chemicals than hominins, only a few of which are cognizable to humans as “food.” You thus spend less on equipage during venture outlay (you just carry around some rotting fungusbark and human-urine energy shots). You effectively make back an extra 25 voidguilders with each venture. (Standard venture pay is your level × 25.) This power doesn’t help at game start.
- Evoke (special/free) – Hell science is the evolution of consciousness—the merger of the human imagination with physical reality. Hell scientists use their imaginations to sculpt timespace. Thanks to some terrible mutation, you can control the Weird. You can use hell science powers that you don’t even know about. Instead of using a Weird power you actually understand (that is, using the power channel hell science, below), name the power you want to use. Then, as a free action, burn d20 GRT and make a WIL check. If you succeed, you may use the power as described, paying the associated GRT cost. Also, your eyes glow, your breath mists with electrified blood, and so forth. If you fail, you don’t lose your action for the round (trying is a free action), but you do lose the d20 GRT. Note: using a power once does not teach you how to safely do so again!
- Channel hell science (varies, typically standard) – You begin play with 2 hell science powers, chosen freely from any of the 6 paths [already included]. Each time you gain a level, you can gain 1 more hell science power. Almost all hell science powers cost GRT to use. The psyonic equivalent of COM is REA, unless otherwise stated. When you psychically attack someone, your opponent rolls WIL instead of MOV to resist (to mentally “dodge”). N.B., most people tend to be very suspicious of other people who can bend timespace simply by thinking.
- Envenom (free) – Burn 4X GRT: after your next successful attack with a non-gun weapon, your target rolls a normal WIL check at −X. If she fails, she is completely paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to your level +1.
- Surge (special/free) – You can use hell science powers in ways that defy the understanding of even the most erudite Senior Archivists: when using a hell science power, burn the requisite GRT +X more GRT, where X is equal to or less than your level × 3. The effect of the power is now +X, whether that applies to damage, damage reduction, duration in minutes or hours, or any other measurable effect. If the effect is not measurable, it is qualitatively amplified a ginormous amount. X minutes after using the power, you feel weak and cannot use any Weird power for X rounds. During this time, you smell sweaty and can’t speak eloquently.
- Arrest (passive) – Whenever you remove an item of clothing, either your own or someone else’s, no sapient, biological creature who can see you can do anything but watch. You command their absolute attention. If you choose, you can exempt individual people, by name. If you stop the strip-tease—and especially if you attack someone—the power stops working.
- Emulate (standard) – Burn 5 GRT: you alter your appearance to exactly mimic that of someone or something else for a number of hours equal to your level. You can become indistinguishable from someone else, or from a tree or bulkhead. You can turn into air. That said, you are easily detected if someone bumps into you, because your mass does not change.
Your own family despises you and would rather you ceased to be a stain on their reputation with the Co.
- Carbine, Terran martinet. 357-caliber, bolt-action (3 clank) – 2d10 damage. 200-M range. Two-handed. Doubles as a club. 200 gl.
- None – No damage reduction (DR).
- Oddment – Owl mask of the local cult leader.