Venture up, out, and through!
Reloading this page will generate a new, random, playable 1st-level character, complete with powers and gear.
Provincial (Calay) Witness level 1
Rankstillfleeter minima nonfactor, subclass petty-E
You are a belligerent hermit from Calayat. You were trained as a Co. anthropologist. Your job is to act as the point of contact with any sapient entities encountered during the venture, which may mean negotiating your way out of hostilities, and to write an accurate report of the venture for your refactor. Secretly, you are the adopted child of one of the directors. You have not seen this person since you were very young; you are not even sure they are still alive.
LanguagesSpin and Jarchane
HEA 14 [maxCOM+maxMOV]
GRT 23 [maxREA+maxCHA]
DR 1 [gear]
- Calayat (homeworld) – Similar in makeup to Terra, this world is thought to be the ur-home of the wetans. The largest province by population as well as the richest, Calayat’s rulers are extremely influential on-Spin—much to the Directorate’s chagrin. You speak Spin and d2 Calay languages (Malteni, Anch, Chessenais, Calavane, Sabian, or Jarchane). All weapons you purchase at character creation are well-made and thus inflict +d4 damage.
- Different gravity back home (permanent) – You gain a +1 bonus to all non-Weird rolls related to health—resisting disease, fighting poison, not falling asleep when you don’t want to, etc. This does not help with resisting Weird forms of mind control.
- Gladhander, palmgreaser, climber (permanent) – You gain a permanent bonus of +1 CHA. [already included]
- Subject of empire (permanent) – You gain a permanent bonus of +1 WIL. [already included]
- Smooth over (standard) – You can calmly smooth over misunderstandings—the kind that doom many planetside runs: burn 3 GRT for an easily remedied bad situation (difficulty 5 CHA check), 5 for a difficult one (difficulty 6), and 7 for a nearly impossible one (difficulty 7). Roll a CHA check. If you succeed, all works out (for now—you can always re-blunder). If you fail, roll another CHA check: success on this one means you haven’t made the situation worse; failure incites your interlocutors to attack immediately. In actual game play, this is arguably the single most useful class power! Bonus item: you begin play with a book or a set of Archival pamphlets about one world of your choice [already included]; this gives you a one-time +4 on a REA or CHA check regarding this world. (You can choose the world well after character creation.)
- Assess (standard) – Burn 2 GRT. Choose one entity; this entity can represent the median characteristics of a group (a gang, a small army, etc.). By spending a round studying it, you gain a good idea about its general nature and likely powers. (In game terms, the GM tells you its level, species, and classes.) Assess does not let you read someone’s mind or automatically catch someone in a lie.
- Conduct ritual (standard/hour/day) – You participate in an important local ritual: this could be a religious service, an election, a marriage, etc. The time requirement depends on the ritual but is typically one hour and never less than one round. It must be logically possible for you to lead this ritual. (You can bend but not break narrative logic here; GM’s discretion.) Burn X GRT and choose an effect:
- Religious rite – Everyone involved except you gains 2X GRT. This GRT can stack beyond their normal limits.
- Romantic nudge/ban – A sapient person (not a beast or non-sapient machine) of X or lower level falls in or out of love with someone else. You have total control over the basic change in affect that you want to happen; you do not have total control over exactly how this plays out for the nudged/banned individuals.
- Political event – You gain the loyalty and social capital of 100X locals for X days. They will do your bidding within reason, including fight for you. They will give up if faced with obviously superior firepower or numbers, however, unless you conduct a second ritual to steel their resolve.
- Read (standard) – Regardless of what you’re encountering, if it’s kinda humanoid at all, you can quickly get a good sense of who they are, what they want, and how to communicate with them. Burn 4 GRT and make a REA check: if you succeed, you fluidly establish lasting contact. If you fail, you establish some sort of contact but anger your new friends in doing so. The GM should raise the difficulty of the REA check to 7 if the entities you’re reading are already definitely suspicious, or 9 if they are hostile.
- Batarang (1 clank) – d4 damage. 5-M range. If you miss with any roll higher than a 1, the batarang returns to your hand. 5 gl. (worth much more to the right Ancient sleeper).
- Shotgun, shot (3 clank) – 2d6 damage. All targets within a 30-M long/1-M wide cone. Two-handed. If you shoot one-handed, you suffer a -1 to hit. Doubles as a club. 150 gl.
- Bamboo-slat cloak (1 clank) – DR 1 [already included]. 10 gl.
- Book or set of Archival pamphlets about one world of your choice – Gives you a one-time +4 on a REA or CHA check regarding this world. (You can choose the world well after character creation.).
- Sniffer (2 bio) – A sniffer is a small sea slug worn as a brooch that, once tuned into your biology, detects environmental threats such as radiation, poison, hypoxia, etc., in game terms it adds +4 to WIL checks to perceive such threats. 25 gl.
- Oddment – All Your Base onesie, baaasically your size.