Reloading this page will generate a new, random, playable 1st-level character. Note, this is a working draft: if you see something wacky, please feel free to reach out on Discord and let us know.
Conscript Witness level 1
Rankstillfleeter minima nonfactor, subclass leerling −A
You are a comely cult leader from Terra. You were trained as a Co. anthropologist. Your job is to act as the point of contact with any sapient entities encountered during the venture, which may mean negotiating your way out of hostilities, and to write an accurate report of the venture for your refactor. Secretly, you met the Redactor. You... can't remember why this is so unbelievably important.
HEA 12 [maxCOM+maxMOV]
GRT 22 [maxREA+maxCHA]
DR 3 [gear]
- Earthlings never give up (permanent) – You gain a permanent bonus of +1 WIL. [already included]
- Fury from planet fucking fury (free) – Whenever you take 4 or more HEA damage in one round, you may gain either +2 GRT, +1 to your next attack roll, or +3 to your next damage roll.
- Smooth over (standard) – You can calmly smooth over misunderstandings—the kind that doom many planetside runs: burn 3 GRT for an easily remedied bad situation (difficulty 5 CHA check), 5 for a difficult one (difficulty 6), and 7 for a nearly impossible one (difficulty 7). Roll a CHA check. If you succeed, all works out (for now—you can always re-blunder). If you fail, roll another CHA check: success on this one means you haven’t made the situation worse; failure incites your interlocutors to attack immediately. In actual game play, this is arguably the single most useful class power! Bonus item: you begin play with a book or a set of Archival pamphlets about one world of your choice [already included]; this gives you a one-time +4 on a REA or CHA check regarding this world. (You can choose the world well after character creation.)
- Conduct ritual (standard/hour/day) – You participate in an important local ritual: this could be a religious service, an election, a marriage, etc. The time requirement depends on the ritual but is typically one hour and never less than one round. It must be logically possible for you to lead this ritual. (You can bend but not break narrative logic here; GM’s discretion.) Burn X GRT and choose an effect:
- Religious rite – Everyone involved except you gains 2X GRT. This GRT can stack beyond their normal limits.
- Romantic nudge/ban – A sapient person (not a beast or non-sapient machine) of X or lower level falls in or out of love with someone else. You have total control over the basic change in affect that you want to happen; you do not have total control over exactly how this plays out for the nudged/banned individuals.
- Political event – You gain the loyalty and social capital of 100X locals for X days. They will do your bidding within reason, including fight for you. They will give up if faced with obviously superior firepower or numbers, however, unless you conduct a second ritual to steel their resolve.
- Disarm (standard) – You wink—and in a flash, snatch the maser right out of the isopodal nihiloid’s viselike claw! Burn 5 GRT: you disarm one opponent within 5 M. They cannot resist unless by using Weird powers.
- Read (standard) – Regardless of what you’re encountering, if it’s kinda humanoid at all, you can quickly get a good sense of who they are, what they want, and how to communicate with them. Burn 4 GRT and make a REA check: if you succeed, you fluidly establish lasting contact. If you fail, you establish some sort of contact but anger your new friends in doing so. The GM should raise the difficulty of the REA check to 7 if the entities you’re reading are already definitely suspicious, or 9 if they are hostile.
- Bomb, Spin-made, expensive (3 clank) – 3d6 damage. 5-M range. Can be thrown or planted. Damages all targets within 3 M of impact site. If you roll a 1 when attacking, you harm yourself. 16 gl.
- Pistol, modern, large-caliber. 38-caliber (3 clank) – 2d6 damage. 50-M range. 80 gl.
- Chainmail (2 clank) – DR 3 [already included]. -2 non-dodge MOV checks. 35 gl.
- Attractor beacon (2 force) – Universal ping. Comes with 2 charges. Burn one charge to summon all nearby hostile aliens to this point for 2 hours. 55 gl.
- Book or set of Archival pamphlets about one world of your choice – Gives you a one-time +4 on a REA or CHA check regarding this world. (You can choose the world well after character creation.).
- Oddment – The Groaning Bister: a brown, foul-smelling lump of a mysterious heavy element that you are convinced is worth a fortune (1 in 3 chance you are correct).